Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Being a bit wordy.

Here is my million-word text based project. I was really going for the comparison how easily it is to understand a textbook explaining the ribs compared to how life is in reality, detailed and sometimes confusing. I enjoyed this project, even though it took me forever. I recommend everyone read Life of Pi, wonderful book.

After the critique in class I went back and fixed a few points people had brought up. I added more of the book to the inside of the ribcage, to the ends of the ribs to make them look like they curve off into the distance better and adding more shadow between ribs and the section between the ribs and the sternum. Basically, I just added more realistic detail to the piece, and yes, still words from the book.

5 comments:

  1. Chelsea, I was amazed at how awesome your piece was at critique, but the extra things that you added when going back through it really pushed it over the edge! The ribs look so much more defined now, and really pop. It's incredible how much writing you were able to fit into the ribs and the cultural significance behind it. The highlighting of words in the background was a very nice touch. I think I'll have to go check out Life of Pi now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Epic.

    Those markers were a good investment!!! And you used them SO WELL! The value on this is... valuable? Yeah. I really see your sculpture in this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is amazing. The amount of effort is clear and apparent in the piece and is certainly worth it. The contrast between the ribs and the more plain background allows the subject to pop and the concept of highlighting words in the background and tying the text into your perception of the object is awesome. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So this must have been incredible time consuming. That in itself makes this piece fascinating, as I cant help but marvel at how many words there are in there. On the flip side... I am so overwhelmed with the words I have no desire to even attempt to read them - which in a sense takes away from any related message to these words. However, the ultimate result is a fantastic looking picture. The contrast between the ribs and background is very interesting and makes the ribs really pop off the page. I do however wish there was still more shading on the ribs, to show the curvature of them more.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This piece is probably my favorite out of all of them. The color choice you made is really wonderful and the amount of DETAIL you put into this piece blows my mind. I really like how personal it is to you, and I'm sure I could just sit there and read all the words you wrote and enjoy them.

    ... Or I can go out and get the book :)

    ReplyDelete