Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Paper Collage

This is the first "attempt" at the finished, three stage collage from paper. I really enjoyed this project and how it was three steps. My initial thought at this project was that it was going to be really simple, shapes on a piece of paper. But once we were to put non-geometric shapes on it, I felt that it had something more, a story to it.

After the critique in class, I took all of the comments and criticisms to heart. I, too agree that the paint chip border looked kinda silly and too easy (sorry Kelly, I still love you). So here, in my "revival", as it were,
I took off the border. I also felt that the "birds" in the water were a bit childish and immature, so I thought to make the ocean a bit more rough and hurricane like. Lastly, I brightened the lightning because I felt it needed to be the center and most noticable part of my piece. With all of these additions as well as some subtractions, I feel this piece is much more succesful as a collage.

4 comments:

  1. Haha, don't worry Chelsea, you didn't hurt my feelings! I agree that the border wasn't adding anything in the end; it was just a bit distracting. I really love how the lightning turned out in your revised piece, it just pops! It's so much more striking since it's totally yellow. The water is also much more defined now and easily recognizable. I love how your piece has a narrative quality, it's so interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I could see this in person. The contrast between blue and yellow must look awesome! Also, I like the hurricane water a LOT more. The other stuff looked too calm. And, as always, I commend you on your amazing lightning.The time and effort cutting it all out paid off.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So I think your decision to remove the border was a really good one, as I found this part of the project to be by far the most distracting part of the piece. As far as the additional colors goes, I too wish I could see it in person, as I do like how bright the colors make your image, but also feel like they make the project feel a bit busy. However, you could argue that this was your intention as you are depicting a storm of sorts. Good job on this project. While I feel like the end result is not as strong as it maybe could have been, I can really appreciate all the thought and time your put into this project. You really put in a lot of effort to plan out what was going to be black and white etc. focusing on contrast. So props to you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that your piece clearly tells a story. It makes it more interesting. I am glad that you removed the border, it makes it look cleaner. Making the lightning all yellow was a successful change, it pops so much more now. I did, however, like the little bird-water-shapes better. I thought it looked more watery, but this new look does look more intense, like a hurricane. Overall, I think you did a great job with this piece. I enjoyed it every step of the way, and think that it finished nicely. Well done.

    ReplyDelete