Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Ribcage Beginnings




This is the paper sculpture of my ribcage. I found this part to be much more difficult than the scuplpting in cardboard because there were so many decisions I needed to make; how to make the vertebrae, if the ribs should be rounded, how to curve the ribs without bending, etc. But in the end, this little sculpture helped loads on the cardboard sculpture.
This, although it's hard to see, is the first full sized sketch we had to do on newspaper paper. I tried to fix it up as much as I could in photoshop, but I just pressed so lightly when I was sketching it that it doesn't look much better. Anyway, it's the basis of my learning the form and logsitics of the ribcage.

2 comments:

  1. While I do wish that the cardboard sculpture itself could stand unsupported by a stool, I believe the progress from paper to paper sculpture to cardboard is phenomenal, and your ability to transfer and even improve your ideas from 2d to 3d mediums is great! The structure of the ribs itself appear sturdy as real ribs do. Awesome work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! I forgot how impressive your paper sculpture was! You did a fantastic job of getting the media to "bend to your will". This was something I definitely struggled with and had to make multiple models before finally getting anything that vaguely worked. So well done! I'm impressed.

    ReplyDelete